2016 Free Boms

Friday, June 21, 2013

Baby quilts for PNG

As soon as I read Gina's posts HERE and HERE, about the quilts she made for little babies in New Guinea, I knew I wanted to make some too. Here's bit of what Gina wrote

I think I've mentioned this here last year some time, about my husband's cousin Yaso (his cousin's wife actually).  She works for the (Australian) government in Papua N-G, helping resettle the displaced people over there.   Thousands of them have been forced from their natural living areas by the big mining companies, and they are sent up to mountain tops where it is so much colder than what they are used to, and their babies are dying from the cold. 

 If you would like to help please contact Gina through her blog, Patra's Place of Stitching and Vintage Linens or leave me a comment and I'll get back to you.
Here's a mother and baby receiving one of Gina's quilts. Yaso wrote:

We asked in the first village  Akwanje for the most recent child born. The mother was still feeding the child as I gave her the quilt. She cried for a long time with happiness. 
Then we went to the next village Yakepa.  These two villages are so very remote and only a handful of outsiders have been there. Took me and my team more than 36 hours to get there (by truck). It was such a beautiful ceremony and the little ones were crying and then when I wrapped the  quilt around each, they started laughing and holding out their hand to me. The people loved the loving gift from someone who has known about them. They know your name - and send their gratitude. I will get the names of the children and the parents for you very soon. In the midst of so many things to respond to, I forgot to write them down.  One of the child (Yakepa)  has Albinism. More quilts would be glorious.

I haven't been sleeping well so I was wide awake at 4.30 in the morning.  The house was very quiet so I rummaged through my stash looking for bright happy fabrics and got to work cutting and sewing.  By 8.30am I had two bright and cheerful little flimsies and I plan to make another 4 over the weekend.  I just need a trip to the fabric shop to buy some warm flannel for the backing.  I'll show you the results when they are all finished.

This would make a fabulous gift for a quilting friend.  It is a fabulous free pattern very kindly shared at Sew Happy.Me.  And here is the LINK.

13 comments:

  1. what a good cause Mel,sorry to hear you are not sleeping well,you take care my lovely friend.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melody.
    This has touched me greatly. Please feel free to pop in my place to raid my stash, I am sure that what you find here will be good for quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Melody...this photo makes me want to smile and cry all at the same time.....on my way to Gina's blog now....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get those kind of nights every so often, but this week with all the paddling I have been doing, I am lucky to last 5 minutes before I fall asleep, lol. Love making quilts for others, need to finish a couple for a friend who takes them to africa. Love the sewing piece, great idea to add to gift packages.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are able to sleep better soon, and thank you for sharing this info with us. I have some fabric that I think would be perfect and needs a good home. (wheels turning) Off to visit her blog to find out more info. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful project, and a great way to use up the wee hours. Hope you get some rest tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely cause and how great that yu are using up your sleepness nights to make for it... it is wonderful work that is being done for those little bubz
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Melody I would love to make some quilts for the babes too. Will pop over to get some more info.
    Hope you sleep better tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Mel, for posting all that here on your blog. And thank you to all the ladies who have offered to make some quilts for Yaso's babies. I have emailed her to let her know she is going to be besieged by baby quilts soon! I have replied to all of you invidually with my email and snail mail address.
    {{{Hugs}}} Gina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like we both have the same sleep problems just now. Have to say you made better use of your 'extra' daytime than I did. Two quilt tops finished in so short a time... Wow! Good job there are caring people who make quilts and others who see that they get to where they are needed. More power to your elbow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to use up some of my stash to make some quilts for the babies,please let me know details & I will get stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to make some quilts for the babies,please let me know details & I will start stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a wonderful thing. So simple, yet what a blessing to those Mom's. I have bookmarked your blog so when I get a small one made, I can send it off. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...