2016 Free Boms

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tuesday's Treasures



Thanks once again to Clare at Clare's Craftroom for organising Tuesday Treasures.
This week I thought I'd share one of my favourite pressies from my DH. He bought it for me over 30 years ago and it was already old when he purchased it.
I displayed it on a scrubbed pine dresser which sat near my back door. Frequently we would arrive home from work and find its location had changed. It might be on a different shelf or facing another direction. We'd take note of its position before we left and sure enough when we got home it had moved. It was baffling.
After much puzzlement we were forced to conclude it was haunted! Perhaps the kookaburras were seeking their laughing friends in the garden.
At the time my mum lived just around the corner and would very kindly pop around to our house to do the washing, vacuum or play with the dogs. What we didn't know was that she was using my kookaburras as a doorstop and just plonking them back anywhere on the dresser. Mystery solved, but not as exciting as the other prospect. Spooky!

11 comments:

  1. That's a funny story certainly put a smile on my face. Thanks for popping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have joined the scrappy quilt group. I am so excited to be part of it as I love quilts made from bits and pieces. Going to check my scrap material container now. I am new to quilting and only up to quilt no 2 at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooove your kookas ! Thanks so much for showing us and playing along .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them! Is it very heavy? Must be if your Mum was using it as a doorstop! lol
    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are very cute and look cosy together! I love the story about the 'haunting' ....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely ornament and I had to laugh at your story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they do look like a pair of 'lovebirds' nestled up to each other and I love the story that goes with - sounds like the kinda of thing my mother would do.. thank you for visiting my page, Judith

    ReplyDelete
  8. These Kookaburra's are beautiful. Reminds me of living in the hills, always see Kooka's at the old people's.

    I love their moving story too.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an interesting story behind the kookaburra's , we don't have these birds but they do look interesting .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your comment on my blog. Maybe our kookaburras are related !!!!!
    What a great story I think I liked the spooky story better but what a wonderful Mum.
    (((HUGS))) Roz.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops my first message did not go through. Anyway just looked in to say thanks for your thoughts with regards to my DH.
    I love your kookaburras do you think mine could be related ?
    The story about the haunted kookas is just beautiful and what a treasure your Mum is.
    (((HUGS))) Roz.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...